Can I suit a woman for stealing my husband

Asked over 3 years ago - Denver, CO

If I have proof that she lured him under falled pretenses (faking physical abuse, illness, etc.) Is that a crime?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. James C Underhill Jr.

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . Attorneys from other states probably know the law in their states.

    In Colorado you cannot sue anyone for stealing your husband. The old "alienation of affection" laws have been repealed in almost every state. Your remedy is to either reconcile with your Husband, or divorce him.

    In Colorado we also do not have any way to plead that he's a low down dirty scumbag who runs around on you. In Colorado the reason for the divorce is irrelevant. A person can have any reason or no reason, but the court doesn't care about the reason.

    Finally, however, the place that his behavior comes up is with payment to you of maintenance and with regard to child support and parenting time. Depending on the behavior, and how bad it is for kids, and whether the kids were around, there may be issues which will be relevant to the divorce.

    I suggest an hour with a good divorce attorney to understand your rights, options and to get a good recommendation as to how to proceed.

    By the way, while most lawyers require a retainer and provide "full representation" which means that they handle your matter for you and charge for everything, some attorneys sell "unbundled" or "limited" legal services where you pay for just what you need and can afford. For example, some attorneys will give you an hour or two at a set price to review your issue and give you advice based on the law, prepare letters for you to sign, or sell the paperwork for the court filings; then you can proceed on your own, but knowing that your paperwork is correct and having a road map as to how to proceed. Or who will attend a hearing for a flat fee. Neighborhood Law Office is a law firm offering unbundled legal services.


    NOTICE— The Legal Information contained in this answer is provided solely for informational purposes to assist the... more
  2. Thomas C Valkenet


    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . Talk to a lawyer about "alienation of affections." But not all states have this.

  3. Jeffrey Mark Adams

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Contact an attorney familiar with matrimonial law; is my suggestion.

  4. Lars A. Lundeen


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . I suggest that you consult with a divorce attorney. You probably do not have a claim for alienation of affections.

    Legal Disclaimer:

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

    Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,146 answers this week

2,911 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,146 answers this week

2,911 attorneys answering