Can I suit a woman for stealing my husband

Denver, CO |

If I have proof that she lured him under falled pretenses (faking physical abuse, illness, etc.) Is that a crime?

1. Talk to a lawyer about "alienation of affections." But not all states have this.

2. Contact an attorney familiar with matrimonial law; is my suggestion.

3. I suggest that you consult with a divorce attorney. You probably do not have a claim for alienation of affections.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

4. Attorneys from other states probably know the law in their states.

In Colorado you cannot sue anyone for stealing your husband. The old "alienation of affection" laws have been repealed in almost every state. Your remedy is to either reconcile with your Husband, or divorce him.

In Colorado we also do not have any way to plead that he's a low down dirty scumbag who runs around on you. In Colorado the reason for the divorce is irrelevant. A person can have any reason or no reason, but the court doesn't care about the reason.

Finally, however, the place that his behavior comes up is with payment to you of maintenance and with regard to child support and parenting time. Depending on the behavior, and how bad it is for kids, and whether the kids were around, there may be issues which will be relevant to the divorce.

I suggest an hour with a good divorce attorney to understand your rights, options and to get a good recommendation as to how to proceed.

By the way, while most lawyers require a retainer and provide "full representation" which means that they handle your matter for you and charge for everything, some attorneys sell "unbundled" or "limited" legal services where you pay for just what you need and can afford. For example, some attorneys will give you an hour or two at a set price to review your issue and give you advice based on the law, prepare letters for you to sign, or sell the paperwork for the court filings; then you can proceed on your own, but knowing that your paperwork is correct and having a road map as to how to proceed. Or who will attend a hearing for a flat fee. Neighborhood Law Office is a law firm offering unbundled legal services.

jim
    Jim@NeighborhoodLawOffice.com

NOTICE— The Legal Information contained in this answer is provided solely for informational purposes to assist the layperson in understanding general legal concepts and terms, it is not legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or my law firm. This response is provided for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. It is not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issues. Because this website format is limited, all facts necessary for complete advice are not available and the information provided cannot be complete. Questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege.