Can I sue walmart for wrongful termination?

Asked over 2 years ago - Livonia, MI

I work of a walmart in Michigan and I go to college as well. I changed my availability through the correct procedure at my store but was scheduled on a couple days I was not available. So I went to my manager everyday I worked for the three weeks prior to the days I was scheduled but inable to work to have her take me off the schedule. So I did not show up for the days since my contract states I do not have to work any day not in my availablity but I was fired for no call no shows. Do I have a case since I have witnesses to me asking my manager to take me off the schedule.

1. Paul Y. Lee

1

Answered . I sympathize with your situation but unfortunately you do not appear to have a good wrongful termination case. Michigan is an "at will" employment state. An employer can terminate an employee for any reason or no reason. However, an employee may not be discharged for discriminatory reasons, such as race, gender, national origin, religion or sexual orientation. An employee also may not be discharged in retaliation for refusing to comply with an illegal directive of the employer, or for engaging in certain other protected activities, or if the employment contract or collective bargaining agreement provides that the employee can only be discharged for cause. Based on the information in your post, it does not appear that you were terminated for a forbidden reason.

2. Michael S. Haber

Pro

Answered . First, it is irrelevant what company you worked for, and it violates avvo policy to "name names." You tried to do things the right way; the company put a roadblock in your way; and you decided to engage in self-help, for which your employer fired you.

If there is an employee handbook that sets forth the company's policies as to scheduling, and you abided by those policies, you should be aware that in some states such policies will constitute a contract between employer and employee. I am a NY attorney and cannot advise you as to your state's laws.

Barring that, and assuming there is nothing indicative of violation of any other written agreement or unlawful discrimination, then you likely have no rights.

Good luck to you.