Can I sue Walgreens?

I got injured at work 2 days ago,I was lifting heavy boxes and I got a hernia .Its the second time I get injured for lifting heavy things.They haven't provided me with a back brace and they expect me to carry heavy objects and as a result a hernia at 19 years old.

Workers' compensation law exist specifically for situations like this. Consult an attorney if you need help making a claim.

Ok and as a 19 year old living under a low income family.Where can I find one?

Ian Thomas Valkenet

Ian Thomas Valkenet

Workers compensation is a very popular field for attorneys. Most will work on contingency (meaning they do not charge anything unless they win). A simple search on Avvo, google, lawyers.com, or the yellow pages will help you find one. Good luck!

Omg thank you very much Your Kind

Ian Thomas Valkenet

Ian Thomas Valkenet

I hope that was helpful. I welcome any other questions and hope you'll take a moment to leave a positive review.

If you work for Walgreens, you can seek workers compensation. If you do not work for Walgreens, you have not stated anything else that would suggest that it should have any duty to you.

I did but still like its not fair that this women makes us do hard labor, i have the injury on paper,And if you go ask all the employees that if they have back braces and are they making us carry items,I promise you they would say yes

Right now the doctor that walgreens send me is helping but is it possible to sue on the side because I need justice

Christine C McCall

Christine C McCall

If you are an employee and you were injured on the job, a work comp claim is your sole and exclusive remedy for the consequences of the injury -- no "suing on the side."

You have a workers compensation claim against them. Find a good workers compensation attorney and make a claim right away.

Good luck to you.

This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed only through the mutual execution of an attorney-client agreement. The answer given is based on the extremely limited facts provided and the proper course of action might change significantly with the introduction of other facts. All who read this answer should not rely on the answer to govern their conduct. Please seek the advice of competent counsel after disclosing all facts to that attorney. This answer is intended for California residents only. The answering party is only licensed to practice in the State of California.

Richard Andrew Harting

Richard Andrew Harting

You cannot sue your employer. You can file a workers compensation claim. If the employer engaged in conduct coined as 'serious and willful' disregard for your safety you can file an enhancement to your work comp claim commonly referred to as a 132(a) claim. please feel free to contact our office in Long Beach for a consultation 562-981-1010

Brett A. Borah

Brett A. Borah

I agree

I agree that this is a workers' compensation question. I've shared your question with Avvo's workers' compensation law forum, where your question may be seen by more attorneys who practice in this area of the law.

And . . . you can find a workers' compensation attorney on the California Applicant Attorneys Association (CAAA) web site: http://caaa.org/cs/. CAAA is the strongest California bar association for attorneys who represent injured workers. On the home page, click on the picture of the wheelchair above the words "Injured Workers." On the next page, click on the link to “Attorney Search” on the left side. Enter your city or any other information and click “Search.”

twitter.com/MikaSpencer *** All legal actions have time limits, called statutes of limitation. If you miss the deadline for filing your claim, you will lose the opportunity to pursue your case. Please consult with an experienced employment attorney as soon as possible to better preserve your rights. *** Marilynn Mika Spencer provides information on Avvo as a service to the public, primarily when general information may be of assistance. Avvo is not an appropriate forum for an in-depth response or a detailed analysis. These comments are for information only and should not be considered legal advice. Legal advice must pertain to specific, detailed facts. No attorney-client relationship is created based on this information exchange. *** Marilynn Mika Spencer is licensed to practice law before all state and federal courts in California, and can appear before administrative agencies throughout the country. She is eligible to represent clients in other states on a pro hac vice basis. ***

Yes you may file a workers compensation claim against Walgreen and enjoy the benefits of Temporary Disability Payments, Medical Care, Permanent Disability payments (if any) and Job Displacement (if any).