Can I sue unemployment insurance agency?

Asked about 3 years ago - Troy, MI

I'm taking my attorney with me to administrative judge soon to prove them wrong about a fraud case against me. I'm told I have 100% of winning this argument. Problem is that I've spent a lot of money on attorney fees which are going to total over $2500. UIA just issued me a letter and all I can do is write them back but that didn't do anything, so now I have lawyers involved. It's sick that they can just type up a letter from a template, call it fraud, and make me pay hefty penalty. Any chance I can sue UIA for having me spend my resources on proving them wrong?

I only want to recover my attorney fees, i'm not greedy.

1. Christine C McCall

Pro

Answered . You cannot bring a separate independent lawsuit to hold liable the unemployment insurance administrative staff on account of a decision denying you benefits. But you may be able to appeal a determination against you. Be sure to comply with the time limits for appeal -- you will receive notice of the time when you receive notice of a denial of benefits.