Can I sue this person for harassment?

Asked about 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

So recently a forum troll had been banned for posting messages on my wall even after I asked him to stop. He sent me an apology and I reported him for yet again disobeying my "no contact" request. So now he keeps making duplicate accounts on this forum and sending me insults in my private messages. He also posts a modified ( grotesque ) image of me on my wall and around the forum as well. It's been about a week of this fellow doing this. Can I have him sued?

1. Sagar P. Parikh

3

Answered . There are two issues here. Criminal liability and civil liability. If you wanted to sue him, you would have to allege some sort of injury that you suffered. For example, did his messages and pictures cause you emotional distress? However, even if you did allege such a claim, it would be a very tough case and probably not worth your time.

You should consult with an attorney that does this type of work for a more thorough review of your circumstances.

2. Michael Kevin Cernyar

Pro

2

Answered . It may be possible to get a restraining order which is a form of a civil suit to stop the harassment. If the order is granted and the behavior continues then you have additional grounds for civil action, along with grounds for criminal prosecution. A restraining order is likely the best economical manner to stop the nonsense. Good luck.

www.DigitalEsq.com
    Toll free (855) Mr-Cyber-Law

3. John P Corrigan

1

Answered . Check out the enclosed link which may be useful to you:
    http://www.wisegeek.org/what-are-internet-haras...

4. Andrew Mark Jaffe

Pro

1

Answered . I think this is a duplicate question. Getting flamed is a risk you take when you enter a forum. I doubt you will get much traction with the courts unless you can show: 1) a threat of physical bodily harm or; 2) real monetary damage you suffered because of the troll.