Can i sue this Management company, for pain and suffering and false information on my credit?

Asked over 1 year ago - Palmetto, GA

An Apartment complex is listed on my credit for the past 4yrs, I have never resided at this complex, they have been notified in the past and have stated the same, that i have never resided there I have asked if they would remove this from my credit report but till this day it is still there and for the past couple yrs have prevented me from getting a place to live, Management has been contacted and so have upper management of this complex but this problem still remains, now i am in a homeless situation been trying to get a place to live but because of this i am not able, I am at the point where i want to sue what can i do?

1. Scott Benjamin Riddle

6

Answered . The obvious first step is to dispute the entry on your credit report. You did not mention what happened when you did that?

2. Fareesh S. Sarangi

Pro

6

Answered . This is a serious issue, and one that has been affecting a lot of people. Yale has put out a great primer to help people like yourself understand what their rights are under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), and I am linking to it below. It sounds like you have been diligent in trying to get them to do the right thing, and they still continue to ignore it (which companies often do because people like yourself get tired of fighting and eventually give up).

Good for you for not giving up, and I agree, it sounds like time to take legal action. Many of us here on Avvo handle these cases, and almost all of us will offer you a free consultation to help you assess your case. Give us a call and we can help you figure out the next steps - you won't get charged any fees until and unless your case is resolved favorably, so you have nothing to lose.

3. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

6

Answered . You cannot sue for pain and suffering.

However, if you can document a paper trail where you properly notified the collector, the creditor and the credit bureaus in writing (hopefully you kept copies and did this by certified mail), you may have a significant claim for damages for violation of federal credit laws, and you should bring your evidence to a local attorney.

4. Sam Louis Levine

5

Answered . You have some options. Give me and/or another attorney a call to discuss. I do handle these matters & can be reached @ (404) 303-8875. Best wishes & take care.

Sam Levine, Esq.

5. Ainsworth G. Dudley Jr.

4

Answered . I suggest you contact one of the attorneys who have responded to your question. It appears this will continue to haunt you until it is fixed. good luck.

6. Michael R Crosner

3

Answered . Have you tried to contact the credit company & inform them that you deny this information? Otherwise, consult a local attorney - most will provide free consultations. Good luck

Pro

3

Answered . There are several options, so contact one of the above lawyers in your state to discuss in detail.

8. Casey William Stevens

1

Answered . As a general matter, you cannot recover pain and suffering damages unless you have suffered a physical injury. However, there is recourse for false credit reporting under the Fair Credit Reporting Act. I would suggest you contact a firm that specializes in this area to discuss your case. Best of luck to you.