Can I sue them on my own with no lawyer? Do I have a case?

New York, NY |

I was working in a non profit anti-drug organization. I worked there for five months as a temp to perm. On my fifth month I was told I was the best office facilities manager they have ever had and how good of a job I was doing but then two days later I got fired due to false allegations, can I sue the company on my own and if not and I need a lawyer, and do I have a case?

In most cases a person can represent themselves. This is called pro se representation. In the sort of case you describe you can represent yourself pro se, though it is advisable to have a lawyer represent you .A lot of cases like this are done on a contingency fee basis where the lawyer gets a percentage of any judgment awarded in your favor and so I would suggest you try to see if a lawyer would take this case on contingency before representing yourself.

This answer is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You should not take action based upon this information without consulting legal counsel. This answer is not intended to create, and does not create, an attorney-client relationship. PLEASE REMEMBER: All claims and legal matters have statutes of limitations and/or other important time periods that apply to them. This means that you must take action on all claims or legal matters within the required time period(s) or your claims could be barred by the statute of limitations or dismissed. Contact our office or another competent attorney immediately to discuss the particular facts of any claim or legal issue you might have in order to learn what time periods apply to your particular situation.

It really depends on what allegations were made against you. If you were terminated for some type of federally protected discrimination, you may have a case. Otherwise, you can call an employment lawyer for a case evaluation to see if you have a viable claim for damages.

Based on the information provided here, it does not sound like you have a strong case against your employer. It is legal to terminate upon a suspicion or a mistaken belief in New York State.

This answer does not constitute legal advice and you should contact an attorney to confirm or research further any statements made in this answer. Any statements of fact or law I have made in this answer pertain solely to New York State and should not be relied upon in any way in any other jurisdiction. Additionally, we also encourage you to reach out to us via Twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/WhiteRoseMarks) or Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/WhiteRoseMarks) if you have follow up questions as we do not monitor questions after providing an initial answer.

If you are in management, it may be difficult to prove that they let you go for a reason other than office politics. In any case, you definitely need to consult an attorney to discuss whether you have a case or not.