Can I sue the U.S. Post Office in Small Claims Court for not delivering a letter?

El Sobrante, CA |

An attorney sent a letter to my landlord. However. the post office refused to deliver it, stating the street did not exist. Later, U.S.P.S. stated the landlord did not reside at the address. Eventually, the U.S.P.S delivered the letter; however, the attorney charged me an extra $790.00 for his time and re-sending the letter. I strongly believe the U.S.P.S. ought to pay the attorney's extra fee. The attorney charged an exuberate amount for the letter, and now I must pay for the U.S. Post Office clumsy error.

To clarify, the address was correct. The Post Office refused to deliver the letter because the landlord did not live at the address. Even though, the landlord informed the attorney to have the letter sent to that address, (which was the manager's address). Moreover, the Post Office wrote "no such street" which was clearly untrue. Next, the post office manager stated that the landlord had submitted a "change of address" for which the post office had no evidence for. And last, the post office manager changed the story, stating the mail carrier knew everyone on his route, which was also untrue because I receive numerous mail for other people not living at my residence.

No you cannot sue the U.S. Post Office. There's something very wrong with a lawyer, especially one in small town, charging $790 to re-send a letter; you should dispute this exorbitant amount.

Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.

I suspect that if you examined a copy of the letter that the attorney sent, you would find that the address as he first used it, was somehow in error. In other words, be sure you are mad at the right person. And yes, that charge to remail a letter is outrageous. Demand a copy of the first letter (and envelope if it came back to him) that he sent and check out the address carefully.