Can I sue the Sheriffs Department for discrimination or racial profiling?

Cleveland, OH |

3 weeks ago my fíance and I was stopped for a license plate light, I was driving. The cop found a empty plastic bag. He only frisked me and got me for possession of marijuana(less than a gram), possession of drug paraphernalia, expired tags, and a seatbelt ticket. My problem is, Why didn't she get frisked or issued a seatbelt ticket? Neither of us was wearing a seatbelt. I am a black man and she is white. We both agree that this was racially motivated. He even questioned me about the seatbelt. Can I sue in regards to the seatbelt ticket and/or seatbelt ticket? The law should count for everyone, regardless of who it is.

1. Uh, you were driving. That all by itself is a far more logical reason for the difference in treatment by the cop than race. In any event, that fact will as a matter of law defeat any contention in any legal action by you that race was the basis for the difference in police treatment. A lawsuit here on this theory is a waste of time.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship set forth in a written document executed by the client and by me or a member of my firm. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. I can give advice, make recommendations and answer specific questions only after reviewing the evidence and documents applicable to a specific client and following a personal meeting in my office in which the relevant facts can be developed and analyzed. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

2. My colleague lays out very clear facts to guide you.

It is important to keep in mind that law enforcement officials are generally permitted to 'frisk' an individual, so long as they have reasonable suspicion. This is low standard that can easily be met. 'Reasonable suspicion' is very different from 'probable cause.'

In your situation, the police officer had probable cause to stop your vehicle because you had what your facts state was defective license plate light. Equipped with this probable cause, the police officer was warranted to stop you.

I am little confused why you want to proceed with a suit, as the officer did not act outside the law. Please advise if there are additional facts.

Traffic tickets topics