Can I sue the school for an unpaid internship where I had to be admitted to the ER for passing out due to the conditions?

Clifton Park, NY |

As an unpaid intern we are required by the school to work 8 hour days, but this particular preceptor made us work anywhere from 10-12, and we were there are 5:30am. Even though we were there so early we did not get lunch until 11-2pm. I passed out from exhaustion/weakness from being hungry and the school and site both refuse to cover the bill. Before I had even passed out, I tried twice to get the school to do something, and they ignored me. They ignored me again when I tried to get them to contact me afterwards. I had to email the college president who said no. Do I have a case against the school for not ensuring the safety of students on rotations?

1. On paper, your facts can be alleged as a valid legal claim. But in the event your potential recovery will be minimal because you do not have significant damages, and you will very likely lose altogether on issues of causation. The means for proving that your medical event was caused by the factors you cite will be very expensive and highly unlikely to meet your burden of proof. This potential suit will not be in your long-range interests.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship set forth in a written document executed by the client and by me or a member of my firm. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. I can give advice, make recommendations and answer specific questions only after reviewing the evidence and documents applicable to a specific client and following a personal meeting in my office in which the relevant facts can be developed and analyzed. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

2. A lot more facts would be necessary to provide you with a meaningful response.

In seeking an attorney on this site, beware of limiting your search to attorneys with a 10 rating, and carefully read the AVVO disclaimer regarding their rating system. There are certain factors that are given great weight which do not necessarily have any bearing on an attorney's experience, abilities, and results with certain types of cases. Accordingly, the rating numbers can be misleading. Also beware of basing your choice on the fee charged, as a low fee, depending on the skill, experience and determination of the specific attorney handling your case, could actually have an inverse relationship to the amount actually put in your pocket.

3. I think this falls under the doctrine of tough luck. You have no actionable claim.

4. Without a significant monetary loss, the case could cost more than you recover, but you can have a local lawyer investigate.

Education law topics