Can i sue the other drivers insurance who was at fault during an accident even though i have no car insurance in michigan?

Asked over 1 year ago - Farmington, MI

I got rear ended at a red light badly which caused several bruises, fractures and swelled up knee in which I cannot walk. My car wasn't insured, however, the truck who rear ended me and was clearly at fault was insured. I have health care and visited the hospital anyways. But my question is since I am unable to walk without cruches and since the accident has caused a lot of damage, can I sue the other drivers automobile insurance to recover any loses other than my vehicle and medical expenses?

Also, I would like to add.... my spouse is the owner of the vehicle and the insurance goes under her as well. I, obviously, was the operator of the vehicle alone at the time. I hope I have supplied with enough information. Thank you in advance.

1. Steven M. Gursten

Pro

10

Answered . Welcome, sadly, to probably the most draconian law we have today in Michigan.
    If you are both the titled owner of the vehicle and you were also the operator of the car (you have to be both, so if you are a passenger, for example, you can still bring a lawsuit), then you are unfortunately completely barred from suing the wrongdoer and his or her insurance company for your injuries and your pain and suffering from a car accident.
    Here is a recent blog I wrote that describes the challenges you face in more detail:
    http://www.michiganautolaw.com/auto-lawyers-blo...
    I'm very sorry. I think this law is terribly unfair.

Pro

7

Answered . I agree with Gursten. You're in a bad state for car accidents with no insurance.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  3. Michael Ryan Juarez

3

Answered . Yes you can. Report the accident to your insurance company.

4. Scott J. Corwin

Pro

3

Answered . Mr. Gurstein is correct in his response.