Can I sue the nursing home after my mother passed away

Asked almost 2 years ago - Franklin, MA

My mother has been in the same skilled nursing facility for 2.5 years with advancing dementia. I am a former nurse, and visited my mother regularly. My name, telephone number and address has never changed while she was a patient there. Three days before she died, I me with the nursing staff and made sure that they had both my husband's and my cell #'s and home number. I have spoken to them at least 100 times over the past few years, and actually live across the street from them. My mother passed away 1/7/2013 at the local hospital, at no time was I ever contacted by the nursing home, or that she had even beem transported. I fould out through my sister who lives in another state that my mother had passed away and was alone. I immediately called the facility and not one person could explain

1. Jeffrey Mark Adams

9

Answered . You may have a claim that can viably be advanced. Contact someone qualified and skilled in nursing home/assisted living litigation. Specialized area of litigation. Sorry for your loss.

2. David J. McCormick

9

Answered . Sorry to hear about your mother’s unfortunate passing. While the actions of the nursing home were clearly not the best, the real question is this: if their inaction was negligent what are your damages? That is the heart of your matter, and one you need answered by a local nursing home negligence attorney.

3. Brian C. Snell

4

Answered . I am sorry for your loss.
    This is a specialized area of the law. I refer these types of cases to David Hoey in North Reading. He will be able to advise you if you have a viable claim. Please let him know how you got his name.

4. George A Malliaros

4

Answered . I am sorry for your loss. The Nursing Home is guilty of extreme insensitivity and staff should be ashamed. However, I do not see a claim for damages on your behalf unless your emotional distress rose to the level of affecting you physically in a very bad way.

5. Sean Michael Patrick

5

Answered . What do you hope to sue them for? It seems that unless you have some provisions in the agreement between you and the nursing home giving them an affirmative duty to call you anytime that your mother was transported, it is very unlikely that you would be successful in a law suit. I would obtain all of the admissions paperwork and then consult with an attorney in your area to evlaute possible claims, but based on the above facts, I do not see one.

Pro

4

Answered . I'm sorry to hear about this. It was not nice of the facility to do this, but a lawsuit would likely be fruitless, however, call a local Avvo attorney in your city to discuss in detail.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  7. Michael A Ferrara Jr

Pro

1

Answered . Sorry to learn. Leo Boyle in Boston can answer your question for you. Good luck