Can I sue the nurologist for giving me the wrong diagnosis?

Minneapolis, MN |

I have been having constant headaches and started to lose my vision I seen a nurologist and he diagnosed me with depressions and with his exact wrds saying that I need to get on happy pillsand see a counsler. My eye sight got worst and now I am unable to see at all in my left eye. I went to another hospital they did the same test abot if not more and seem to have a pretty good grasp on whats wrong.

1. Possibly. Generally, if the care that your neurologist provided was not up to the standards of a reasonable and prudent neurologist (that is that a reasonable and prudent neurologist would have diagnosed your condition as related to your eye and not depression) and earlier diagnosis and treatment would have resulted in a better outcome, or less invasive treatment, etc., the you would likely have the basis for a medical negligence claim. In accordance with Minnesota law, the case would need to be reviewed by a qualified medical doctor who offers the above opinions, prior to the start of a lawsuit.

2. Perhaps. I hope the new doctor was able to properly diagnose you. A local malpractice lawyer can order your medical records and send them to an expert to review.

3. I am sorry to hear of your health issue. You may very well have a claim if the delayed diagnosed made your condition worse and your left blindness could have been prevented if you received care soon.

I hope you are able have the condition reversed. You would need to establish the first doctor breached the standard of care and the negligent failure to diagnose caused you permanent injuries. If you would like to discuss the matter you can call or email me directly

Ken LaBore
    612-743-9048

AVVO DISCLAIMER I am licensed in Minnesota only and my answers on Avvo assume Minnesota law. The answers I provide are for general information only and are NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and therefore must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interaction between an attorney and client and specific exact facts and the law. I do not retain clients without a signed RETAINER AGREEMENT. The Avvo forum does not allow for the discussion and the interaction necessary to form a complete legal analysis. Therefore the answers given to any specific question would most likely be different if there was attorney-client interaction. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such an attorney client relationship. An attorney-client relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged nor are they confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and statutory time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in the answers to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an qualified attorney for legal advice licensed in the proper jurisdiction. Finally, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.

4. You may. Medical malpractice is difficult to prove. Gather your medical records and bring them to a local personal injury attorney who handles medical malpractices cases. Good luck.

The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.