Can I sue the nurologist for giving me the wrong diagnosis?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Minneapolis, MN

I have been having constant headaches and started to lose my vision I seen a nurologist and he diagnosed me with depressions and with his exact wrds saying that I need to get on happy pillsand see a counsler. My eye sight got worst and now I am unable to see at all in my left eye. I went to another hospital they did the same test abot if not more and seem to have a pretty good grasp on whats wrong.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Christian K. Lassen II


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Perhaps. I hope the new doctor was able to properly diagnose you. A local malpractice lawyer can order your medical records and send them to an expert to review.

  2. Teresa Fariss McClain

    Contributor Level 3


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Possibly. Generally, if the care that your neurologist provided was not up to the standards of a reasonable and prudent neurologist (that is that a reasonable and prudent neurologist would have diagnosed your condition as related to your eye and not depression) and earlier diagnosis and treatment would have resulted in a better outcome, or less invasive treatment, etc., the you would likely have the basis for a medical negligence claim. In accordance with Minnesota law, the case would need to be reviewed by a qualified medical doctor who offers the above opinions, prior to the start of a lawsuit.

  3. Kenneth Lee LaBore


    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I am sorry to hear of your health issue. You may very well have a claim if the delayed diagnosed made your condition worse and your left blindness could have been prevented if you received care soon.

    I hope you are able have the condition reversed. You would need to establish the first doctor breached the standard of care and the negligent failure to diagnose caused you permanent injuries. If you would like to discuss the matter you can call or email me directly

    Good luck.

    Ken LaBore

    AVVO DISCLAIMER I am licensed in Minnesota only and my answers on Avvo assume Minnesota law. The answers I... more
  4. Matthew C Simon


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You may. Medical malpractice is difficult to prove. Gather your medical records and bring them to a local personal injury attorney who handles medical malpractices cases. Good luck.

    The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-... more

Related Topics

Medical malpractice and personal injury

Medical malpractice occurs when a medical professional's negligence causes injury to a patient. Incorrect actions and inaction can both be forms of negligence.

Jonathan Michael Rolnick

Medical Malpractice Case

There is an expectation when we see a physician or go to the hospital that a certain "reasonable" standard of care will be provided. In most cases, this is exactly what happens. There are... more

Pain and suffering for personal injury

Pain and suffering refers to physical and mental trauma caused by an injury, and is often a significant component of non-economic damages.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

17,116 answers this week

2,289 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

17,116 answers this week

2,289 attorneys answering