Can I sue the nail salon that damaged my fingernails and eyes?

Cumming, GA |

I had my nails done at a salon and within 30 minutes of leaving, they started burning, the tips of my fingers became numb and started itching severely. By the next morning, the cuticles around 4 of my fingers were red and swollen. Within 3 days, I noticed a whitish-green pus underneath two and I that my eyes were beginning to burn and hurt (like needles stabbing them). I did everything possible to treat these issues myself. I finally had to go to the opthamologist regarding my eyes. Very expensive prescriptions. I left his office and went to see my regular doctor regarding my nails. She also gave me prescriptions and antibiotics. I also have pics of my nails and eyes. Do I have enough evidence for a case?

You may have a case, but you will have to prove that the nail salon was negligent and their negligence caused you the problems you have described. It is not enough to simply show that you were hurt. I would recommend you go to your doctor first to have your hands examined and see exactly what the problem is, e.g. infection, chemical burn? Take plenty of photographs (high quality digital is best). If your problems fully resolve (quickly), it's probably not worth your time and effort to pursue a lawsuit, but you should definitely notify the salon of what happened to hopefully prevent something like this from happening to another customer. Good luck and I hope you get well soon.

Nail salons and beauty salons may be negligent and cause people injuries. Best bet is to search Avvo for a personal injury lawyer in your city and call for a free consultation to discuss.

Click on name or picture to see profile page.

John K Lassen

John K Lassen

Your website is informative. Philadelphia Personal Injury Lawyer

I actually handled a similar case a number of years ago. In order to have a successful claim of this nature you must have an 'expert' willing to testify as to what it was that the salon did specifically to cause your injury. In the case that I handled we had another licensed cosmetologist testify that many salons take short cuts in using cheap nail adhesives and other applications and that the photos of the damage immediately after the application demonstrated to a reasonable degree of certainty that the negligent salon had used such specific applications. This may or may not be the case with your specific damages. In our case, knowing that we had the "expert cosmetologist" on hand to testify led the negligent shop to settle, after we brought a civil action against them.

If you can not find an attorney to help, you can try small claims.

My office handles personal injury and accident cases in Massachusetts and New Hampshire.

Although the nail salon may have been negligent, the level of damages is not likely sufficient to make the case worthwhile for you or an attorney to pursue. Absent a significant injury that involves substantial medical expenses or a permanent injury, most experienced attorneys will not get involved in your matter and it is unlikely that it is worth the financial committment by you to pursue.

Recommended articles about Personal injury