Can i sue the local housing authority because i found out that the landlord we rent from is an arsonist?

Asked over 1 year ago - Huntington Beach, CA

I have informed my local housing auth that the landlord is an arsonist. Along with a million problems while living here i found this out and asked to be relocated hous said that i and the landlord must come to agreement to break the lease...of course there is no agreement and i have been stuck here to finish the lease in the last 8 months the landlord as well as her other tenants/friends have pushed us to the limit to disturb us to pressure us into signing under her terms and move. I have been assaulted by tenants, almost ran over, threatened to be killed. Local police do nothing because "they have no weapon at hand while saying it" i have been living a nightmare and me and my family have suffered from all of this. can i sue for not screening landlords only participants?

1. Christine C McCall

Pro

6

Answered . How are you damaged or harmed by a past criminal offense of your landlord? What kinds of criminal offenses do you contend you have a right to be forewarned about? Why?

Quite frankly, I can't see any loss or damage to you in this situation. You have the right to the premises as per your lease, not withstanding the checkered past of the landlord, right?

2. David Herman Hirsch

4

Answered . I don't see how his being "an arsonist" disqualifies him from being a landlord or gives you a cause of action to sue the housing authority. It also seems odd that the housing authority would tell you that...

THESE COMMENTS MUST NOT BE CONSIDERED LEGAL ADVICE. Comments made on websites such as Avvo.com are provided for information purposes only. The only way to determine how the law may apply to your particular situation is to consult with an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation.

3. Nicholas Basil Spirtos

3

Answered . No, you cannot sue the local housing authority because your landlord was an arsonist in the past. You could not sue them even if she is an arsonist now. If she burns down your apartment, you could sue her, but not the housing authority. It looks like she is willing to let you move out early. If you cannot bear living there any longer, perhaps you should work something out and move.