Can I sue the landscaping company contracted by my neighbors landlord for damages to my property?

Asked over 1 year ago - Fort Lauderdale, FL

Two days ago my neighbors landscaping company was trimming trees in their back yard. They allowed a branch to fall in the wrong direction onto a power line, sending the live wire into my backyard which started a major fire. The fire quickly spread to my shed, causing an explosion with the help of my barbecue grills propane tank, which destroyed my shed and it's contents, the surrounding area , and killed my family cat. Inside the shed there were a number of family heirlooms, as well as at least $1000 worth of other property. The landscaping company made an attempt to speed off before they were stopped by my neighbors and police. Because of this incident, I now have to pay for the removal/replacement of the shed and a portion of my fence. as well cope with the loss of my cat. Can I sue?

I am permanently disabled in a wheelchair and I am unable to personally remove the rubble from my yard, so I have to hire a company to do it for me.

1. Jeffrey B. Lampert

Pro

Answered . Yes.

2. Will Murphy

Answered . What a tragic set of events. Yes, you can sue. Before you do that, you may want to make a claim on your insurance. They may cover you and even seek recovery of your deductible.

3. Steven Andrew Krieger

Answered . Contacting your insurance company is a good starting point.

Your insurance may not cover all your damages (particularly the emotional), so you may decide to sue depending on what they will cover.

Another factor to consider is the condition of your propane tank -- especially, if it was not properly maintained as that may have increased the amount of the damage.

If you sue, remember you have the burden to prove that the wire caused all the damage and your neighbor may try to argue that the propane tank contributed to the amount of damage.