Can i sue the i.r.s for my tax money and emotional distress?

me and my girlfriend filed our taxes around the end of January and been getting the run around ever since. on my end i have a 9 month daughter and 7 year old step daughter i claim on my taxes. they sent me papers to verify that the baby was mines and bout the step daughter. i sent in the birth certificate in and they responded a month later saying that wasn't enough. my name is clearly sign on there. then they told me i couldn't claim the step daughter. the mother of my child and her daughter wrote a letter stating she gave me permission to claim the step daughter and even got the letter stamp by an notary. they responded with they cant accept it. the mother of the kids even spoke to an i.r.s agent and told them everything. its the middle of July and still no money.it has cost me alot

Tampa, FL -

Giacomo Jacques Behar

Giacomo Jacques Behar

Immigration Attorney - San Diego, CA

Sorry, but no, you cannot sue the IRS.

Alan James Brinkmeier

Alan James Brinkmeier

Lawsuit / Dispute Attorney - Chicago, IL

You cannot sue to IRS.Google the Federal Tort Claims Act and then take a couple of Tylenols.

Michael Charles Doland

Michael Charles Doland

Business Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

No you cannot sue the IRS and if you could you could not sue for "emotional distress".

John P Corrigan

John P Corrigan

Tax Lawyer - White Plains, NY

Your girlfriend's daughter is not technically your stepchild and therefore not a "qualified" child for the dependency exemption -- the reason is because you and she are not married. If you were then the child would be your "legal" stepchild for tax purposes.

Related Advice

Ask your questions on our Q&A forum. It's free and anonymous.

Need to find an attorney? Browse our lawyer directory.