Can I sue the HOA and/or Management Company that governs my condo?

Asked 9 months ago - Brighton, CO

I own a condo and we have written declarations and by-laws. Our manager has allowed people to break them for years and has illegally raised our dues to cover the expenses of cleaning up the property instead of holding individual perpetrators accountable. I have documentation proving all of this. The manager also told individual homeowners that I complained when garbage was left in the hallway causing those homeowners to harass me.

1. Christopher Daniel Leroi

Pro

3

Answered . Too many questions to be answered on this forum. I would set up an appointment for a free consultation with an attorney who specializes in HOAs and real property

2. Daniel Nelson Deasy

1

Answered . Mr. Leroi is right -- you really do need to set up some time with an attorney that works in this area to get the education you need for these issues.

Good luck!!

3. Jody Lynn Peskin

1

Answered . A Condo or HOA is usually run by a Board of Directors, and a management company hired by the board usually acts on instructions from the board. The board approves the budget, not the management company. The board is also supposed to make the determination as to what actions are violations of the covenants, and whether a cease and desist is worth pursuing. Do you know who your board members are? Do you go to meetings? Sounds like you may want to get involved and be heard.