Can I sue the Guardian Ad Litem...

Virginia Beach, VA |

I lost a custody case, yet the information the Guardian Ad Litem gave in court is wrong, I have direct evidence that contradicts the statements she gave, I wonder if I should confront her or go to the courts.

1. You can challenge the GAL findings in court, but just because you think the GAL's opinions are wrong does not give you grounds to sue the GAL.

2. Your best option may be to file an appeal if the case was heard in Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court or file a Motion for Reconsideration and bring the inconsistencies to the court's attention.

3. Many people fail to realize the importance of the Guardian ad Litem until the case is over. Did your attorney use this evidence at trial? A Guardian ad Litem is human just like anyone else. Mistakes are made, but generally I feel most take the role very seriously and give opinions based on the most credible evidence they have.

This reply is provided for information purposes only and does not represent legal advice or an attorney-client relationship.

Child custody topics