Can I sue the DOD for not notifying me of a garnishment or court hearing regarding a debt I owe them?

Asked about 2 years ago - Yakima, WA

I was charged 400$ for gear that was lost over the course of 9 years of service and 2 deployments to Iraq. I signed a witness statement they requested for the lost equipment in which I specifically stated that I wanted to be contacted immediately about how I could pay for these items. I listed all of my contact information and asked if they accurate contact information on file. They did to my knowledge. I did not want to have pay garnishments. To my surprise I had a pay garnishment in my check which not only presented a hardship, but also embarrased me at my work.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Answered . Thank you for your service to our Country. There are two answers to your question: theoretical and practical.

    THEORETICAL: You can sue anyone for anything. The real question is, will you win more than the cost? The theoretical answer to that question is NO. Suing the DOD for less than tens of thousands of dollars is a losing proposition.

    PRACTICAL: The DOD has unlimited funding (compared to yours) and divisions of motivated lawyers with extensive experience. You have very limited funds, little or no legal training and, even though you are highly motivated now, you have other obligations that will distract you. The area of operation is the american judicial system - a location known to bog down the most mobile forces the world has ever known for years at a time, and the cogs of the justice wheels require copious applications of cash at regular intervals, and turn at a glacial pace.

    Given these facts, the practical solution is to move on. Spend the time with family and friends and try to forget one more idignity that the overly bureacratic system has handed you. Have a beer and watch the movie "Brazil" to see where our bureacracy is headed.

    Console yourself that it wasn't personal. It was just the process of paper work.

    Good luck and God bless you.

    If you need further clarity, please email me at MICHAEL@MIRELAND.US Answers to questions are for general... more

Related Topics

Wage garnishment

Wage garnishment is the process whereby your employer sends part of your paycheck directly to your creditor in order to pay off your debt.

Dorothy G Bunce

Wage Garnishment

If you have a wage garnishment or if your bank account has been attached by a creditor, you may be mad or you may just be frightened. You don't need to be a victim because the law provides... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

34,827 answers this week

3,749 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

34,827 answers this week

3,749 attorneys answering