Can I sue the county of skamania or Washington state for violating my civil rights and not up holding the law

Asked over 1 year ago - Washougal, WA

I was arrested while I was in jail my room mate got a no contact order against me I got 2 court orders to retrieve my 2 cars from the property when I went to get them my UD truck with a 14 foot box on it had all 8 tires slashed wires were cut and the tranny was damaged my ex - room mate told the deputy he had cut up and scraped my gmc jimmy i told the deputy I wanted theft charges brought against him the deputy told me that i should be glad I got the 1 I did and it is not considered auto theft it was a civil matter not a criminal one i disagreed with him and was told no charges would be filed I feel they have violated my civil rights by letting him destroy my property what are my options please help me

1. Vitaliy Kertchen

Answered . You don't really have a cause of action against the state. However, I will say that if your room mate did damage your vehicle, that is certainly both a civil and criminal matter (malicious mischief).

2. Rixon Charles Rafter III

Answered . No, you have nothing against the state or county. Sounds like you have the option of suing your roommate--that's it. The state is immune from being sued and police enjoy qualified immunity. Curious why you thought theft charges were appropriate if all you had was damage?

3. Charles Thomas Jr.

Answered . Nothing to sue over here. Just because YOU think a crime was committed doesn't mean that the police will agree with you. It's called prosecutorial discretion, and it sounds like they acted within the bounds of their discretion not to file a charge.