Skip to main content

Can i sue the city or the police officer for defamation of character?

Eureka, CA |

I was arrested and booked on drug charges with a $30000 bond. I didn't have any drugs on me. So the DA didn't formally charge me I guess they realize they didn't have a case but the Police officer took it upon himself to call my work the day of the arrest to inform them of my being charged. I was dismissed from my job because of that and cannot receive unemployment. Since the charges didn't stick can i sue the officer or the police department for defamation of character. also since it was dismissed can i make the city pay back the money for the bond.

Attorney Answers 2

  1. No and no.

    My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

  2. No, you cannot sue the city or the police department for defamation of character.

    And no, you unfortunately cannot make the city pay back the money for the bond.

    Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, consult your own attorney.

Litigation topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics