Can i sue the city or the police officer for defamation of character?

Asked over 2 years ago - Eureka, CA

I was arrested and booked on drug charges with a $30000 bond. I didn't have any drugs on me. So the DA didn't formally charge me I guess they realize they didn't have a case but the Police officer took it upon himself to call my work the day of the arrest to inform them of my being charged. I was dismissed from my job because of that and cannot receive unemployment. Since the charges didn't stick can i sue the officer or the police department for defamation of character. also since it was dismissed can i make the city pay back the money for the bond.

1. Christine C McCall

Pro

2

Answered . No and no.

2. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

1

Answered . No, you cannot sue the city or the police department for defamation of character.

And no, you unfortunately cannot make the city pay back the money for the bond.