Can I sue the City of Dallas for sending me a traffic citation and the picture of the car is clearly not mine.

Frisco, TX |

The picture is clearly of another vehicle than mine. It ticked me off and now I have to take time from running my business to deal with this crap and possibly show up to court. I just think being wrongly accused and using false evidence should be penalized but do understand mistakes happen.

In order to sue the City, you need to be able to show what damages you incurred. Additionally, there is a level of immunity given to government entities that typically protects them in situations like this. You can make a complaint about the incident and present the information to show you are innocent of the violation. If you would like more specific advice about your circumstances and the likelihood of prevailing in suing the City, you should consult a local attorney.

The information provided does not constitute legal advice and is presented without any representation or warranty whatsoever, including as to the accuracy or completeness of the information. Always contact an attorney when seeking legal advice.

Thank you for the advice and your time.

I know it's frustrating, and you will probably have to go to court and show the picture to the prosecutor. If it's clearly not your car then they should dismiss the charge. It will be an inconvenience, but I don't think that the City would waive it's governmental immunity over such a suit. Like you said, mistakes happen and the level of damage should be a couple of hours of your time. There should be an easy enough fix for it though.

YES, frustrating, because I called 866.525.7025 and they said this is just a call help center and no one to contact at all to take the responsibility of the mistake. They can not tell me how they got my information and why I was profiled. Now I have to get a letter notarized and send pictures of my car, and still face possible court date.