Can I sue the California EDD for back pay on my unemployment claim after my weekly certification was lost?

Asked about 2 years ago - San Jose, CA

I filed for unemployment in February and immediately registered on CalJobs. I received my first cert form in the mail and completed it, sending it back to the EDD at the beginning of March. I then waited three weeks for a response, and since I didn't get another form I became concerned. I tried going into my local EDD center, but they couldn't do anything other than confirm that nothing had been received on their end. It was suggested I try web certifying, which I attempted but was unable to use because of restrictions on EDD's end. Same thing when I tried Tele-Cert. I tried endlessly dialing the English language line for weeks, and finally had to call the Vietnamese line to set up an appointment for a call. My back pay claim was denied because I didn't cert in a timely fashion.

1. Isileli Tupou Manaia Mataele

Answered . EDD is not liable or can you show they lost the claim form. There is a risk when you mail something and this is the risk. Also EDD is an arm of the state and thus immune under the 11th amendment for damages in this case.