Can I sue teacher for scratching and slamming my 8 year old into a wall ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Brooklyn, NY

Today my son got out of his seat without permission. His teacher grabbed him by the neck and collar which left broken skin and red bruised area . Then she decided to ram him up against the wall. I contacted the school's principal and she said she would investigate and file with the superintendent and NYPD tomorrow. I think I should contact police and make my own report I will be pressing charges against teacher and I have took pictures and video of the bruised area. What bother's me the most is that if I'm at work I can't grab someone by the throat because they didn't do what I wanted them to do , so who are these teacher's to feel they can do it. We all know they have tenure on their side so it's virtually impossible to get fired.

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

1

Answered . The injuries are not sufficient to warrant the time and costs that go into a lawsuit. If you want to pursue it you need to serve a Notice of Claim if this is a public school.

2. Marco Caviglia

1

Answered . I assume you child is at a public school. It is a specific violation of the Rules of the Board of Regents to use corporal punishment against a student, i.e. any physical force upon a student as a means to punish him. The only exception is if alternatives cannot be reasonably employed. Go ahead and file a notice of claim within 90 days of the incident against the school. That way your foot is in the door to sue if it comes to that. It will also let the school know you mean business. If the facts bear out that what you said is true, then your child may be vindicated.

3. Peter Christopher Lomtevas

Pro

1

Answered . Be aware that infant compromise orders can flummox your recovery completely.

The city will enter into an agreement quickly to settle your case for a sum, but if you do not have an attorney retainer filed with the office of court administration and in possession of a retainer number, you'll never get to file your infant compromise order. You'll have to create a "pro se" retainer just to file and get a retainer number. The clerk of your local court will not accept your proposed infant compromise order without it.

There are many pitfalls in representing children either as a lawyer or a "next of friend". Don't try this yourself. Seek competent and experienced counsel to go through the maze of tort actions involving minors.