Can I sue Taser International for long-term effects? Personal Injury/product liability.

Atlanta, GA |

In 2007 I was tasered 7 times by police, by both probes and drive-stuns to the chest and neck. I plead no contest to the charges, ultimately, and adjudication was withheld. I've since seen Doctors regularly for recurring pain, muscle issues, and a broken rib. I've never been able to live without this enduring pain on my right side (shoulder, neck, ribs, stomach, bicept, etc.). The pain and lack of strength has cost me jobs, careers, etc. After this initially happened, nobody had successfully brought suit agains Taser. But looking into things it seems as if there have been several cases recently that have prevailed. I have pictures, plenty of medical records, and just need someone who can either point me in the right direction or represent me for this matter.

well, thanks for the advice! sad that the SOL has passed. if i die from my arrhythmia, i guess my Mrs. is just s-o-l.

Your two year statute of limitations has probably expired

The above is just my opinion based upon the limited facts provided. It is not intended to be offered as legal advice nor is it intended to establish an attorney client relationship. You should seek a consultation either in person or over the phone to discuss any legal issue that you may have raised.

The statute of limitation is 2 years.

Licensed & have offices in PA & NJ ONLY. (Philadelphia, PA & Marlton, NJ)

It appears your time to file suit has expired.

Please CLICK the button if I HELPED or was BEST ANSWER. No attorney-client relationship is established and responses here are general first impressions. You should consult with a lawyer about your problems. More about our firm is located at www.knowthelawyer.com.

Anyone can sue for anything. You need to see a very good PI lawyer (not ones who solicit or have TV advertisements during Judge Judy). Part of the discussion will no doubt be what you did that led to being tased 7 times.

As other responses have pointed out, it looks like you've missed the statute of limitations to bring an action. That said, I was involved in a Taser related case a number of years ago. Taser International is extremely aggressive in defending suits brought against them, so you would certainly have your hands full trying to sue them and I would guess that proving that the long term effects of being tasered caused your condition would be extremely expensive, as far as experts, etc.. Also, there is a lot of information online about controversies related to the use of Tasers that you still might want to tap into, and even share your story with organizations that oppose the use of Tasers...

THESE COMMENTS MUST NOT BE CONSIDERED LEGAL ADVICE. Comments made on websites such as Avvo.com are provided for information purposes only, and you should not base a decision to act or refrain from acting based upon this answer. The only way to determine how the law may apply to your particular situation is to consult with an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation. That relationship is established by the execution of a written agreement for legal services. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.

part of the issue is ongoing medical care. nobody exactly knows what to treat me for. i have developed an arrhythmia in 2008.

to much time has passed since then, and the statute of limitations has probably expired.

John M O'Brien

John M O'Brien

Excellent answer from Mr. Cleary

Sadly, as my colleagues said, the statute of limitation is 2 years, your time to file a suit has expired.

You have missed the statue of limitations cut-off for product liability suits in Ga. which is 2 years.

Disclaimer: This response is provided to you by attorney Robert G. Rothstein (404) 216-1422 for educational and informational purposes only.No attorney-client relationship has been created hereby. Other attorneys may have different opinions or responses. If you found this response helpful, please indicate Best Answer to Avvo. Thank you.

does it matter that i lived in florida when it happened?

Robert G. Rothstein

Robert G. Rothstein

Yes it matters because the Florida statute may be different than Ga. and as a Florida resident at the time that is where your original jurisdiction would be. However, if you are still able to file suit in Fla. it seems you should consider the police dept. as a primary defendant for negligent/improper use of the taser, with TI secondary for failure to properly instruct the police on proper usage of the product since the taser apparently was not defective and worked as designed.

Know any good Floirda Jurists that might be interested? Or, might be able to provide info about the SOL.