Can I sue someone that lives in NewYork, I live in Florida, but the incident happened in another city but in my state?

Asked over 4 years ago - Jacksonville, FL

The person in another state came down to my state and we went to another city (orlando) this person took the rental car and totaled it, I live in the state of florida, but not orlando, this person gave me a notorized letter stating what he did, can I sue this person if the live in New York and I live in Florida?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Gust G Sarris

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . Yes. In cases like this I would have to say you need a local attorney.

  2. Bonita M. Riggens

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . You need to contact your own insurance company if you have not already done so. They can help guide you. Your own insurance company may have provided coverage for the rental car, or, one of your credit card companies.

    Bonnie Riggens
    Law Office of Bonita M. Riggens
    669 1st Ave. N.
    St. Petersburg, FL 33701
    Phone: 727-898-1401
    Fax: 727-823-7351

    Employment law representation: Contracts (Noncompete Agreements, Severance Negotiations), Defamation, Discrimination (Age, Disability, Gender, Pregnancy, National Origin, Race, Religion), Family and Medical Leave Act, Overtime Law. Privacy Law, Retaliation and Whistleblower Law, Sex Harassment, Unemployment Compensation, Unpaid Wages, USERRA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,876 answers this week

3,038 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,876 answers this week

3,038 attorneys answering