Skip to main content

Can I sue someone for scratching my car or at least make him pay for it?

San Antonio, TX |

A guy I live with scratched my car while backing out of the drive way. I know it was him because he has a scratch on the side of his car also. He will not talk to me about it. Is there anything I can do to make him pay for it?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Sure -- file a lawsuit that you can prove and win. Sounds like a small claims matter.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.



Do I need to get a police report first?


I would contact our insurance company and his, and see if you guys can come to mutually acceptable resolution.

Best regards,

Shane M. Boasberg

This email (including attachments) is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. §§2510-2521 and is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any retention, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. This email (including attachments) is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender by return email and delete this email from your system


Small claims court. But probably not cost-effective way to address.


Ask him to pay

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer