Can I sue someone for posting information about me online, giving out my real information without my permission?

Asked over 1 year ago - Montclair, CA

He met me in a video game, lost and then began googling and getting any information he could making up alot of stuff and then posting it along with my name, age, DOB, job, city, etc.

1. Michael Kevin Cernyar

Pro

2

Answered . Absolutely. You can sue anyone for anything. A great deal will depend on whether or not you will prevail and whether or not the perpetrator is judgment proof, meaning if you do prevail is the defendant capable of paying the judgment. Based upon the facts provided here you have several causes of action.

Now, I have been an Internet attorney for a long time. I have several other suggestions that may be more cost effective because at this time you are being harassed and stalked, both violations of the law. See my website at www.DigitalEsq.com to review the proper statutes in the state you reside.

After doing so, I suggest contacting an Internet attorney who can assist you. Many reputable Internet attorneys offer a free consultation. I suggest contacting as many as desired since they are free. I wish you the best.

www.DigitalEsq.com
    (800) 409-7010

2. Frank A. Natoli

Pro

1

Answered . Depending on the nature of what is said it may give raise to a claim of defamation. But even absent that, if someone harasses you online like posting personal info, this too is actionable even if not defamatory.

How much time, effort and money it will be to pursue it is really the big question of course. If this person resides in the same state as you, a good alternative is the small claims court where no lawyer will be needed.

Most of us here, including myself, offer a free phone consult.

Best regards,
    Frank
    Natoli-Lapin, LLC
    (see Disclaimer)