Skip to main content

Can I sue someone for posting information about me online, giving out my real information without my permission?

Montclair, CA |

He met me in a video game, lost and then began googling and getting any information he could making up alot of stuff and then posting it along with my name, age, DOB, job, city, etc.

Attorney Answers 2


Absolutely. You can sue anyone for anything. A great deal will depend on whether or not you will prevail and whether or not the perpetrator is judgment proof, meaning if you do prevail is the defendant capable of paying the judgment. Based upon the facts provided here you have several causes of action.

Now, I have been an Internet attorney for a long time. I have several other suggestions that may be more cost effective because at this time you are being harassed and stalked, both violations of the law. See my website at to review the proper statutes in the state you reside.

After doing so, I suggest contacting an Internet attorney who can assist you. Many reputable Internet attorneys offer a free consultation. I suggest contacting as many as desired since they are free. I wish you the best.
(800) 409-7010

The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


Depending on the nature of what is said it may give raise to a claim of defamation. But even absent that, if someone harasses you online like posting personal info, this too is actionable even if not defamatory.

How much time, effort and money it will be to pursue it is really the big question of course. If this person resides in the same state as you, a good alternative is the small claims court where no lawyer will be needed.

Most of us here, including myself, offer a free phone consult.

Best regards,
Natoli-Lapin, LLC
(see Disclaimer)

The law firm of Natoli-Lapin, LLC (Home of Lantern Legal Services) offers our flat-rate legal services in the areas of business law and intellectual property to entrepreneurs, small-to-medium size businesses, independent inventors and artists across the nation and abroad. Feel free to call for a free phone consultation; your inquiries are always welcome: CONTACT: 866-871-8655 DISCLAIMER: this is not intended to be specific legal advice and should not be relied upon as such. No attorney-client relationship is formed on the basis of this posting.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics