Can i sue someone for mental and physical abuse that happend years ago???

Asked over 3 years ago - Tarboro, NC

when i was little i was badly beaten for years and tha charges brought against them were that im older i wanted to know if i could press charges or sue tha person for tha abuse because i want people to know what kind of person these people are and what they were capable of...i hope that you can answer my question...thanks

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Gregory J. Brewer

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . The statute of limitations for civil assault and/or infliction of emotional distress in NC is 3 years. However, this can be extended if this all occurred to you as a child. The statute will not start running until you turn age 18, and so suit could be filed until age 21. I hope this helps.

  2. Jeffrey Mark Adams

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . As for pressing charges, this is a criminal inquiry. Please speak with an attorney who handles this type of matter. Jeff Adams

  3. Randy William Ferguson

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . You must look at state law. You might be able to have criminal charges brought.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,181 answers this week

3,078 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,181 answers this week

3,078 attorneys answering