Can i sue someone for mental and physical abuse that happend years ago???

Asked over 3 years ago - Tarboro, NC

when i was little i was badly beaten for years and tha charges brought against them were dropped..now that im older i wanted to know if i could press charges or sue tha person for tha abuse because i want people to know what kind of person these people are and what they were capable of...i hope that you can answer my question...thanks

1. Gregory J. Brewer

Answered . The statute of limitations for civil assault and/or infliction of emotional distress in NC is 3 years. However, this can be extended if this all occurred to you as a child. The statute will not start running until you turn age 18, and so suit could be filed until age 21. I hope this helps.

2. Jeffrey Mark Adams

Answered . As for pressing charges, this is a criminal inquiry. Please speak with an attorney who handles this type of matter. Jeff Adams

3. Randy William Ferguson

Answered . You must look at state law. You might be able to have criminal charges brought.