Can I sue someone for making a fake facebook account of me with a profile picture of me smoking marijuana?

Asked over 1 year ago - Philadelphia, PA

a former friend who I had a falling out with texted me today saying he will make a new facebook account under my name and use a picture of me with the glass bowl as the profile picture ( thereby when employers or graduate schools google my name they might see it in the search results)

now that I have his admission on a text message from his personal cell phone number that he is willing to blackmail me on facebook and impersonate me on the internet, is that enough proof to sue someone just in case he actually goes through with making a fake facebook account or other social netoworking accounts under my identity? will his phone company release phone records which i have proof of if he actually impersonates me

Additional information

the glass bowl suggest i was smoking marijuana but it is inconclusive, it could be tobacco or even nutmeg but an educated guess would conclude it is marijuana

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Christian K. Lassen II


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Report the abuse to FB

  2. John F. Fox Jr.

    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . I would pay a lawyer to write a threatening letter saying that if he does do, it you will sue him for defamation and slander.

  3. Stephen Ross Cohen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . Wait and see if he does it, then talk with an attorney. Or have an attorney send him a threatening letter.

    My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA.... more

Related Topics

Personal injury and defamation

Defamation is any type of emotional or psychological personal injury that occurs when someone intentionally harms another’s character or reputation.

Personal injury and libel

Libel is the written or visual defamation of another person’s character. False statements can damage someone’s reputation, so it is a type of personal injury.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,451 answers this week

3,007 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,451 answers this week

3,007 attorneys answering