Can I sue someone for libel or slander even if it is not about me?

Temple City, CA |

I have emails and have heard things from people about other people in our office. I have since been let go of my job and plan on filing a wrongful termination suit. I would like to see about putting these people on blast and possibly suing them for this libel and slander about other employees. I have all the proof. Can I do this?

Defamation requires the publication of a false and unprivileged statement of fact about you which damages your reputation. You would not be able to plead the elements of defamation, based on the information you have provided in your question.

If you were not an injured party, you cannot sue.

Stephanie White
Simi Valley, CA

DISCLAIMER: The above is not legal advice nor does it establish an attorney-client relationship with the person posting the question or any person reading the above. There is no attorney-client relationship between any reader and this writer or her firm. These comments are not subject to any privilege protections. They are neither privileged nor confidential. The information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. Accordingly these comments cannot be relied upon as the law and the facts may differ from those with which the reader of this communication may be dealing.

The following disclosure is required pursuant to IRS Circular 230: unless otherwise expressly indicated, any federal tax advice contained in this communication, including attachments and enclosures, is not intended or written to be used, and may not be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any tax-related matters addressed herein.

As the other responses have pointed out, California law requires you to be the one injured to file a lawsuit for defamation.

Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Recommended articles about Personal injury