Can I sue someone for injury if I don't know their last name, but I know their first name, their job title, and where they work?

Homer Glen, IL |

How can I get their last name, and do I need to know it before I can sue them? Their co-workers wont tell me the last name.

1. If your case is viable a personal injury attorney could almost certainly discover the identity of the offending party. Attorneys can use both private investigators and court tools such as a discovery petition.

Consult an injury lawyer to determine whether the individual is even worth pursuing based on the facts of your case.

Though we strive to provide accurate legal information in our answers on AVVO, our answer should not be construed as legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Our firm only forms attorney-client relationships by written agreement signed by both our firm and the client. Please seek an in-person consultation with an attorney immediately as almost all legal matters are time sensitive and failing to meet deadlines can result in adverse consequences.

2. I am quite positive that an attorney could find out the name of the individual by using a private investigator, if necessary, the internet and by filing a case that would provide him or her with subpoena power. That being said, those routes of pursuit can be costly and therefore, your injury needs to be substantial. Contact a local attorney for a free consultation.

Mr. Padove is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana. He can be contacted at Burtonap@aol.com (219) 836 2200. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Padove strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received. If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

3. How do you propose to file suit when you do not have the name of the defendant? Find out the name or you cannot file suit, regardless of the merits of the case.

4. It doesn't sound like you should have a lot of difficulty finding out the name of the person, given the info that you already have. If you have a good claim you should just turn the matter over to a personal injury attorney. You don't set forth any facts or injuries so it is difficult to tell. There are other ways to commence a lawsuit without knowing the full name of the party, but a lawyer will know that.

5. A local personal injury lawyer can certainly ascertain the unsub's identity.

6. Get a lawyer. It's your best option.

Stephen L. Hoffman
    Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
    Chicago, IL
    773-944-9737
    Email: stephen@hofflawyer.com
    Website: www.hofflawyer.com
    Blog: www.hofflawyer.com/blog/

This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship created or formed and you should not rely on this as legal advice. The suggestion is made that if you wish to protect your rights, you consult with an attorney immediately.

7. This is something easily remedied by your attorney.You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on Avvo.com dealing with many of the issues you are now facing. The Guides can be accessed through my profile page on Avvo.com.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

8. The simple answer to your question is to retain a local personal injury attorney - an attorney is trained to be able to file this type of lawsuit.

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.