Can I sue someone for hacking + shutting down my small internet business.

Asked over 2 years ago - Yonkers, NY

I own and run a graphic design business. In the case of an attack on my computer, and they close down my website & YouTube channel, can I sue them? To the lawyer answering, let's say I were to go to you, what would be the first action to find + prosecute these hackers?

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

Answered . You can sue. The question is what are you damages? The first step would be to determine who hacked you, which is not easy to do.

2. Barry Franklin Poulson

Answered . Yes, that would be a sound basis for a lawsuit. Employers in this realm employ network technicians or PI's who are or employ network technicians. Once you have a sound evidentiary basis, you have to show damages and can sue. There may also be crimes, likely there would be. The same evidence would support a factual, precise report to the police. You take precautions, of course, but when even Yahoo gets hacked, you know that you also have to have a defense in depth. This will include backup of site data, especially customer lists, and (depending on your scale) a backup site or equipment or a backup site in the "cloud" on a hosting company. Some web hosting companies have added protections you can subscribe to.

3. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . The main problem here is finding the hackers. Without knowing who they are, there is no one to sue.