Can I sue someone for giving out my social security and personal information?

Asked over 4 years ago - San Jose, CA

I'm closing on a property and the title company sent my loan documents to the wrong email address. The documents contain my social security number, birthdate, salary, pretty much every piece of personal financial information on me. This was sent to someone with essentially the same name as me. Do I have any legal recourse against the company for mishandling my information? Short of changing all my personal info, I think I may need to enroll in an identity protection service. Can I sue them for the cost of this? If I use this service for the rest of my life are they responsible for the entire cost?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Pamela Koslyn

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You know exactly who the information was mistakenly sent to, and it was one person (assuming the wrong email address was a good address), so there's not much reason to panic. One good preventative move would be to put a "fraud alert" on your credit report - please see the link below. if there's a charge for this, ask the title company that made the mistake to pay for it.

    Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,883 answers this week

2,843 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,883 answers this week

2,843 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary