Can I sue someone for filing a false report with NY State Police?

Albany, NY |

A former friend of mine LIED to the State police stating that he "said never to contact him again".. This was a lie -- Though we had not talked in several months, I had no clue he wished NOT TO HAVE CONTACT with me.. As a result, the state police called me and they told me that he stated that he wanted no contact with me, had I known this in the first place I would not have contacted him.. I contacted him via text and it was a bit insulting, (NOT THREATENING),
Can I sue him for lying to the State Police and having them contact me without me knowing it? And then getting me upset?

I was very upset that he did this, I did get a bit nasty with the police but that was because I was surprised he pulled this stunt..

1. Even assuming you could sue what are your damages? Were you upset enough to seek treatment from a mental health professional? How much do you think your case is worth? Lawsuits take time and cost money to pursue. I see no case.

The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

2. In this country people often bring lawsuits with little or no merit. It sounds like it would be difficult to prove compensable damages. You can attempt contacting cuv attorneys but it sounds like a weak case.

This answer is only for informational purposes and is not meant as legal advice.

3. Absent damages I do not see a lawsuit here.

4. Bottom line is that without damages, a lawsuit would be fruitless.

Police misconduct topics