Skip to main content

Can I sue someone for borrowing $750 and not paying it back?

Los Angeles, CA |

I have lent money to my boyfriend several times while we were dating over the course of 2 years. There are 3 occasions where he explicitly asked for a certain amount and said he would pay me back. I saved the deposit receipts I made to his account as well as emails and text messages where he states he will pay me back. When we recently split up, I asked him to finally pay back the money he owes me and he said he would do so in "a couple of days". However, he keeps coming up with excuses as to why he has yet to pay me. Can I sue for an amount as little as $750?

I reside in Los Angeles, CA and he lives in Boston, MA. If I have to travel to Boston for small claims court, can that cost be added in?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Yes. In "Small Claims Court". They should have forms at the courthouse and online to assist you. You need to file a "complaint". It doesn't have to be perfect to win. Just file it with all of your accusations, proof, facts, allegations, dates, etc. - good luck!

I am an attorney licensed to practice law in Ohio and some Federal Courts throughout the United States. I am not answering your question to solicit you as a client and there is a good chance that I am not licensed to practice law in the state that you reside. I hope that you find my assistance beneficial and, at most, use my advise as a finger pointing in the right direction. An attorney client relationship is not established by posting back and forth online. One of the most beneficial aspects of working with an attorney is the attorney client privilege which does not exist when you post personal facts online to faceless strangers. Hire an attorney if you want specific legal advise. If you cannot afford one, call your local bar association or search "(your city) legal aid" online. The fact that you took the time to post your question online likely means that you could use the aid of an attorney. Call around your area and see if any local attorneys offer free consultations.



How would I do this if I live in Los Angeles, CA and he lives in Boston, MA?

Jeffrey Scott Hyslip

Jeffrey Scott Hyslip


where did you live when he borrowed the money? what you are asking about is where the proper "forum" is to file the law suit. Jurisdiction should be probably proper in CA if he was there when he borrowed the money.


Small claims court would be an appropriate venue for your case, if you have made it clear that you demand payment of the loans and it has been refused or no response and no payment. The courts costs will be added to the judgment if you win, but be sure to file within the statute of limitations period, which could be as short as two years from the date of default for each of the loans.

Robert Stempler (please see DISCLAIMER below)
Twitter: @RStempler

NOTICE: The above statements are provided for general information purposes only and are not intended as legal advice or advice of any sort for a specific case or legal matter. If you do not have a signed attorney-client fee agreement with the Consumer Law Office of Robert Stempler, APC ("the Firm"), then until such written fee agreement is provided and signed by both a prospective client and attorney for a particular case, neither Mr. Stempler nor the Firm will represent you nor will they be your attorney in any matter and you remain responsible for retaining your own attorney and for compliance with any and all deadlines and for any statutes of limitations that may pertain to potential claims. Comments made on a public forum, such as, to not have any confidentiality because others may read them. If you desire a private consultation with Mr. Stempler that is confidential, please go to and submit a free eCase Review. The result portrayed for a client was dependent on the facts of that case. Results will differ if based on different facts. The Firm and Mr. Stempler are a debt relief agency. The Firm and Mr. Stempler help people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code.


Yes--you can sue him in small claims court.

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer