Can I sue someone for avoiding their car insurance company's calls when I have made a claim against them?

Asked about 3 years ago - Waco, TX

I was in a car accident, and the other driver was at fault (ran a stop sign). There was no police report. My car is not driveable, and I have made a claim with his insurance. However, he has been avoiding his insurance's calls in order to not pay for my damages. Can I sue him?

Pro

1

Answered . You can sue the person, who would then turn the papers over to his/her insurance company to defend.

Click on name or picture to see profile page.
  2. Donald Curtis Kudler

Answered . I am licensed in Nevada, but this answer should apply in Texas as well.

You can sue the at fault driver at any time if he or his insurance company do not compensate you for the damages he caused to your car and/or body. His insurance company has a duty to investigate the claim before making payment. He has a duty to cooperate in the investigation. You should file a self report of accident (you may be legally required to do so.) You can go to this site (which, I understand, is for a different city than you live in but will provide a starting place) to find information on the self report: http://www.parkertexas.us/index.aspx?NID=120.

If you choose to sue him, you will have to do so in the court of Jurisdiction. You should consider retaining an attorney if the case exceeds the small claims limit.

Hope this helps.

/s Donald Kudler
    http://www.capandkudler.com