Can I sue somebody for posting false and defamatory information about me on the internet?

Asked about 5 years ago - Richmond, KY

A person has posted false information about me on topix.com claiming that I have cheated on my husband, among other things related to my job, etc. Topix will not release the user's name and will not remove the post. Can this be grounds to sue, and if so, how do I determine who I will sue?

1. Ronald David Coleman

Pro

Answered . Yes, this may be a ground for a lawsuit, but you have to ask the important question of whether you are doing more harm than good if you do sue. A post that now has been seen by 20 people, and caused you some embarrassment, could end up being seen by ten or a hundred times that if you file a lawsuit. There are some cases, however, where an Internet defamation filing is appropriate, and you do need to discuss with a genuinely knowledgeable lawyer whether yours is one.