Can I sue sardine company for hurting my hand while opening can that was defective?

Asked over 1 year ago - Long Island City, NY

I was opening a can with pull up top when it got stuck, I took a firmer grip and pulled harder, the top cut into my hand causing laceration requiring emergency room visit and 3 stitches. I believe because the can is so thin and narrow, it is very prone to injuries.

1. Jeffrey Mark Adams

14

Answered . While I genuinely feel bad that you were injured, in this lawyers view, this is not a case. Always get further opinions. Good luck.

2. Gregory Scott Gennarelli

Pro

13

Answered . Can you sue? Yes. Will you succeed? That's another question altogether. In general, this would be a products liability case against the Tuna company, the manufacturer of the can and anyone else within the distributive chain. In order to succeed, an attorney will need to hire an expert to show that the can was defective. Assuming you find an expert willing to testify that the can was defective, It will be costly. If your damages and injuries are limited to a laceration with 3 stitches, it may not be financially viable for an attorney to undertake the matter. If you have additional dangers such as permanent nerve damage or horrific scarring, it may be worthwhile to pursue. My general feeling is that this is not the type of case that I would get involved in, but I'm sure there are attorneys who would. Speak to several lawyers in your area if you wish to pursue this matter. Good luck.

3. Brian C. Pascale

11

Answered . I have to agree with my colleague, Mr Adams. This would fall under a Products Liability case and it would cost more to bring the action then it would ever possibly recover. As Mr. Adams also stated, and I agree, you should always get another opinion.

4. David J. McCormick

11

Answered . You have limited damages and the costs to hire an expert witness will be thousands of dollars more than your case would ever be worth.

5. Craig A. Post

8

Answered . While I never advocate bringing a claim without an attorney, it will likely be difficult for you to find one to handle this for you. Consult with an attorney and when you're satisfied that you've exhausted that option, you can always contact the company and make your case. The company may offer some sort of compensation.

6. Robert Bruce Kopelson

9

Answered . You can sue, but doubtful you'd collect. Perhaps they would make a nuisance settlement with you.

7. Michael J Palumbo

Pro

6

Answered . It could be a viable design defect case, however your injuries are to deminimus for a lawsuit.

8. L. Maxwell Taylor

7

Answered . Costlier to sue and prove your case than the case would be worth.

9. Timothy Leo Bowden

6

Answered . i think this would be a very difficult case. there will be comparitive fault
    issues in the steps you took to get it open with knowledge that it got stuck.
    call someone local but i dont think there is a claim.