Can I sue Publish Clearing House for false advertisement?

Asked about 2 years ago - Houston, TX

I have received several emails from Publish Clearing House to enter to win $5000 a week for life. I have seen this advertised on tv but how does anyone knows this is legit. I sent them an email telliing them that is isn't fair for them to get people hopes up high especially with the economy being the way it is and if the ad is not true stop sending me emails. I also informed them that I would contact an attorney for false advertisement. They still continue to send me emails. Is there anyway we can find out if Publish Clearing House is legit. They can pay anyone to say they won a $1000000 and send the PCH patrol car any where. I just want to make sure they are not fooling anyone. That is not fair at all. I can really use the money because I have to pay for my schooling.

1. Teri A. Walter

Answered . The short answer is no, you can't. As long as they pay the prize to someone, there's nothing false about their advertising, and you can't sue them because you hoped to win and didn't. Nobody made you enter the contest, and it only cost you a few minutes and a postage stamp. Evidently you thought it was a reasonable risk to take at the time. If you've changed your mind and don't like the game, I suggest that you not play in the future.

That company has been running the same kind of contest for many years, and I've never heard anything that would suggest that they are not running it honestly.

2. Daniel Nathan Ballard

1

Answered . Q: "They still continue to send me emails."

R: So opt out of receiving the emails.

Q: "I can really use the money because I have to pay for my schooling."

R: So enter the sweepstakes -- it's free.

There is no problem here [legal or otherwise]. Either chose to participate, or don't.

3. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . Can you sue? Anyone can sue anyone for anything.
    Can you win? No.

4. Maurice N Ross

Pro

Answered . No. Publishers Clearinghouse has a reputation for honesty and integrity, and they have been closely scrutinized over the years by state and federal officials. There is no false advertising, whatsoever. Reasonable people understand that the chances of winning any sweepstake are very low---similar to winning a lottery. Publishers Clearinghouse does not hide this---to the contrary, this is clear to all reasonable people.

As I said before, this company has been scrutinized closely for many years, and they are careful to comply with legal requirements. In short, you have no legitimate complaint here.