Can I sue Publish Clearing House for false advertisement?

Houston, TX |

I have received several emails from Publish Clearing House to enter to win $5000 a week for life. I have seen this advertised on tv but how does anyone knows this is legit. I sent them an email telliing them that is isn't fair for them to get people hopes up high especially with the economy being the way it is and if the ad is not true stop sending me emails. I also informed them that I would contact an attorney for false advertisement. They still continue to send me emails. Is there anyway we can find out if Publish Clearing House is legit. They can pay anyone to say they won a $1000000 and send the PCH patrol car any where. I just want to make sure they are not fooling anyone. That is not fair at all. I can really use the money because I have to pay for my schooling.

The short answer is no, you can't. As long as they pay the prize to someone, there's nothing false about their advertising, and you can't sue them because you hoped to win and didn't. Nobody made you enter the contest, and it only cost you a few minutes and a postage stamp. Evidently you thought it was a reasonable risk to take at the time. If you've changed your mind and don't like the game, I suggest that you not play in the future.

That company has been running the same kind of contest for many years, and I've never heard anything that would suggest that they are not running it honestly.

Q: "They still continue to send me emails."

R: So opt out of receiving the emails.

Q: "I can really use the money because I have to pay for my schooling."

R: So enter the sweepstakes -- it's free.

There is no problem here [legal or otherwise]. Either chose to participate, or don't.

The above is general information ONLY and is not legal advice, does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should NOT be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney. You should seek the advice of competent counsel before taking any action related to your inquiry.

Can you sue? Anyone can sue anyone for anything.
Can you win? No.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

No. Publishers Clearinghouse has a reputation for honesty and integrity, and they have been closely scrutinized over the years by state and federal officials. There is no false advertising, whatsoever. Reasonable people understand that the chances of winning any sweepstake are very low---similar to winning a lottery. Publishers Clearinghouse does not hide this---to the contrary, this is clear to all reasonable people.

As I said before, this company has been scrutinized closely for many years, and they are careful to comply with legal requirements. In short, you have no legitimate complaint here.