Skip to main content

Can i sue police officer/dept if false report/charg. filed,used excess. force & i sustained injuries? if so what kind of lawyer?

Riverside, CA |

i had bruises on my arms. scratches on my back and forehead. she punched me in my head while i was on the ground, then dragged me by my hair across the room in MY HOUSE!!!! the handcuffs were way too tight my right thumb is still numb and its been about a month now

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


A personal injury attorney in your area should be able to help you.



i was wondering what kind of lawyer b.cus i was told it should be one that specializes in civil rights

Manuel Alzamora Juarez

Manuel Alzamora Juarez


That is exactly what I was going to say. You better search for a lawyer with experience in " excess force violation."


This would be a personal injury lawyer or possibly a civil rights lawyer. I am changing the practice category to bring your question to their attention. You must not delay. Since this is a claim against a government entity and they make the rules, there are very short time deadlines.

If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.

Thank you.

--- Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Wisconsin

--- Facebook Page

--- Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police

--- Miranda Rights (and Wrongs)

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. I am a Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police:


You should speak with a local civil rights lawyer.

This response is not intended to act as legal advice. I am not licensed to practice law in any state other than the State of Illinois. No attorney-client relationship is formed until you sign an attorney-client agreement with my office.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer