Can I sue police department for slander ?

Asked about 1 year ago - Waterloo, IN

I own a bar in a small town, I am not from here originally and have been treated as an outsider as no one knows my story. For the past 4 years I have heard rumors that I sell cocaine, marihuana, have won the lottery and many other stories that explain my owning a bar. In reality I am a struggling bar owner and have greatly suffered from these rumors. About a year ago i ask an officer to quit parking across the street from my bar, his responded by asking me "what would you say if i told you i heard you were selling drugs out of your bar" Recently a new police officer has joined the police force I was informed by a customer that he told her to stay out of the place because they were taking me down for drug sales. Today a college student that bartends at another bar told me the same thing.

1. Adam L Rothenberg

Pro

2

Answered . You can sue anyone for anything, the questions are whether you have a legal right that has been infringed upon, whether you can prove this and can you recover damages. It appears that the police are only repeating what others have said. We have freedom of speech so you have to show that not only did they say it, but also there was an intent to harm. Finally you have to prove actual damages flowed from that statement. In your case, this sounds unlikely. If you think you can, then find a local lawyer to discuss the case with.

Pro

2

Answered . Also, defamation lawyers typically want a 5k retainer just to begin work, and without significant damages, the costs can exceed a recovery.

3. Stephen Ross Cohen

1

Answered . I agree it may be vey difficult to find an Attorney on these facts alone. Especially if the police are being informed of this by other people.