Can I sue over a disputed unpaid invoice to get a court order/judgment that I do not owe the money claimed?

Asked 7 months ago - Levittown, NY

Upon returning my leased vehicle I was given an invoice for $955 which is more than I believe I owe (there is vague/ambiguous language in the lease re: excessive wear). My final offer was $600 but they refused to budge. Can I sue to have a third party determine liability (court order or arbitration)? I'm not sure what my options are because I have not suffered actual damages yet. However, I want to get in front of this to determine liability before it goes to collections and on my credit report.

*Appreciate help thus far but main thing is I don't want it going to collections (harassing calls, negative impact on credit, etc.). Do I have any legal avenues to prevent this? Should I pay the bill then file small claims action to recover?

**Issue in dispute was a very minor chip on windshield. Seriously small, less than a quarter inch. Tiny. Not in field of view of driver and wayyyy below NYS DMV guidelines to fail inspection. They are trying to get me to pay to replace the whole windshield.

1. Anthony J. Pietrafesa

Pro

1

Answered . I think you are stuck with the bill.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

Answered . You are talking about a declaratory judgment action but this is not what it is used for. The leasing company can sue you for breach of contract and if that happens you can defend the case.

3. Mitchell Aaron Nathanson

Pro

Answered . You do not have a cause of action.
    #NathansonLaw #LegalQ&A