Can I sue or petition a class action lawsuit against the site mugshots.com, if I was the victim and not the one arrested, in NC?

Lattimore, NC |

This website has all the information correct except the fact that I was not arrested. I was the victim of a credit card scam from Facebook. This site wants money to have the information removed even if it is wrong. This site has my address for all to see. What can I do?

I agree that you probably don't need a class action suit. I am not sure if mugshots.com would be considered a member of the media, but the media is protected from suits for libel if what they report is "substantially" accurate. It sounds like they got the story very wrong, and you may have a claim. Print copies of what is on the website now and save them electonically, and save any evidence of any damages that result from this, such as if your employer has an issue with this or anything else happens. Consider consulting an attorney in your area to discuss a possible libel and defamation suit, and to get immediate assistance in having the information taken down.

Answers on avvo are for educational and informational purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. Please contact an attorney personally if you need legal representation.

If you look at each entry you will see the site doesn't claim a person was arrested or not, just that the records are official records. It sounds like you're assuming otherwise. Do they state it was an arrest? post the link.

Yes, you can sue mugshots.com. But first you have to find them. (OR) Mugshots.com can be served through their own website email if not in person. Since mugshots.com has blocked all information about their ownership, this may prove to be the only way. Once served, if mugshots.com fails to appear a Judgment will be issued against them and you automatically win your case. You can even file a case yourself without an attorney through small claims court.

THANK YOU (WHOMEVER IS POSTING THIS LIST OF MUGSHOT INDUSTRY INFRACTIONS.. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your problem does not sound like it is suitable for treatment as a class action unless the web site has published many photos of crime victims, but incorrectly depicted or identified them as the perpetrators of the alleged crimes.

That said, if the site has falsely represented you as the alleged perpetrator of a crime rather than the victim, then you may have a viable individual cause of action for defamation. Being accused of a cime is certainly something that would harm your reputation, and in many jurisdictions it is considered slander per se -- meaning that you can recover compensatory damages even if you cannot prove that the defamatory statements caused you actual economic loss.

You should immedaitely consult with a lawyer in your state who is experienced in litigating defamation claims to see if you can bring a case.

Legal Information is Not Legal Advice My answer provides information about the law based on the limited information provided in the questions asked and is not intended to provide legal advice or opinions, and does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. The answer to the question is for educational and informational purposes only. The law differs in each jurisdiction and may be interpreted or applied differently depending on the jurisdiction or situation. Accordingly, I highly recommend that you consult with an attorney to discuss the details of your problem so you can get legal advice tailored to your particular circumstances.

Mugshots.com is misusing public records on a mass scale with intentional malice to say the least. All while Mugshots.com remains anonymous. Mugshots.com has their ownership information blocked. There's a lot of speculation but it all leads to dead-ends. Mugshots.com does not want the public to know who owns mugshots.com, or who operates mugshots.com. They pay a fee to their registrar to not only block their very own proprietary info but mask their info with misleading info. Despite what others would have you believe, YOU CAN SUE mugshots.com. But first you have to find out who owns the website. If all efforts fail to confirm ownership you can still sue mugshots.com and they can be process served through their own website. If they fail to appear in court after having been served, an automatic judgment will be entered in your favor and you win your lawsuit. If you pay them or have paid them any monies, you can sue them in small claims court. You don't need an attorney for small claims court.

CRUNCHLINE LLC, Robert Wiggen, Tiffany A Wiggen, James Cody Wiggen, Alice Wiggen( also own ed by Wiggen as floridaarrest.org). They own mugshots.com reportedly.

For anyone that is has ran into this problem please contact me. I found a lawyer who is willing to start a class action lawsuit against these sites. If you have your mugshot on one site, chances are it's on several sites. I too have the same problem. Please contact me so we can start this asap. My contact info is 262-287-5006. email- jrebel20@gmail.com. If you want the lawyer information he has an account on here, but I prefer not to give that out on here. I will give you all the information once I have been contacted. I need around 20 people who would like to join this class action lawsuit. Thank you for your time

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Recommended articles about Personal injury