Can I sue or get money back for being incorrectly informed that I HAD to use my legal guardian's financial info on my Fafsa?

Asked over 1 year ago - Hollywood, FL

Basically I was told that I was LUCKY they were allowing me to use my LG's financial info because if not than I would HAVE to find my biological mother! This was back in 2005 and I never finished school but did accumulate some student loans from my first year. What can I do about this? I looked this up recently because I never felt right about it and now I know the advisor I spoke to that actually came to my high school was very wrong! I'm old enough now to be independent anyway but I feel like this affected my whole life! This is one reason I'm just now going back to school. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

1. Heather Morcroft

Answered . I'm so sorry, what an awful situation for you. Unfortunately, the advisors are not legally liable for giving you incorrect information unless you can show they have some specific duty to you and if this was someone who came to your high school with general information, I just don't see that. The obligation is on you to pursue the information that you need to fill out the form. I know that does not sound fair. I'm really glad that you are now going back to school. I hope that you are still able to use the credits you accumulated earlier.

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******