Can i sue my x for defamation?

Asked 10 months ago - Waverly, TN

my x filed a restraining order on my boyfriend so that he cannot be around my kids. He has lived with me for 3 yrs with no abuse of any kind. My kids are 9 and 17. He has had to move out which is totally disrupted the household. Is there anything I can do? We live in a small town and my boyfriend is a self employed small business owner with a highly respected family name.

1. Stephen Alan Sauer

1

Answered . Typically the restraining order issued is a temporary order. There should be a court date set for a hearing to determine if the order should be made permanent. Go to court and contest the order.

Pro

2

Answered . Contest it

3. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

Answered . How has your ex defamed you? What are your provable damages? It sounds like your children's father has attempted to protect them from someone who the court obviously felt was a problem for your kids and therefore issued the restraining order. If your boyfriend wants to get the restraining order lifted, he needs to take court action to do so.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.