Can I sue my workplace for ignoring sexual harasment claims and creating a hostile environment?

Edgerton, MO |

This is a work related issue. The owner of our company placed a manager in our shop to supervise things, during his time with us he sexually harassed myself and 3 other women on top of constantly cussing and yelling at us. After reporting it to the owner, he cut my pay and all of our hours and then transferred the manager to another location. He said he didn't believe us and that nothing we said was harrasment (we told him to stop). Recently he hired another manager who is already doing the same thing, making dirty jokes etc. and he even asked a coworker to "do some naked silk screening". When he was confronted, he didn't deny it. The owner again, didn't believe us and then fired the manager who reported it. Do we have a case here? In the very least, can I quit and draw unemploymet?

It sounds like you may have a case but it depends on whether or not your employer has enough employees to fall under the Missouri Human Rights Act and the specifics of your complaint to the owner. I would need more facts to help you. Feel free to give my office a call for a free consultation at 816-581-4040. I also have some info on sexual harassment on my firm’s website that may help you at www.PaulusLawFirm.com

***PLEASE NOTE: My response to this question and any other question in this forum are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. My answer to this question should be viewed as general in nature and does not establish an attorney client relationship. The choice of an attorney is an important decision and should not be based solely upon advertisements***

You and your other co-workers need to go see an experienced employment law attorney immediately. You should call Mr. Paulus and get some legal advice.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think this post was a good answer, please click the "Good Answer" button below and/or designate my answer as the "BEST ANSWER". Thanks. This is a general response to a question for basic information and is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be given when all of the facts of your situation are discussed with a lawyer, which we have not done.. If you reside outside the State of Texas please understand that the laws may be different from the laws that I may cite in a my comment. This comment is not to be construed as legal advice to your particular situation because there are many factors that influence legal counseling- this is simply a comment. Response to an email does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C., nor any of its attorneys. If you send us an e-mail, or call us, and we do not already represent you, neither your e-mail inquiry nor telephone call will create an attorney-client relationship. E-mails cannot necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. Only entering into a written legal services contract with the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C. will create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for one-on-one legal advice and you are urged to meet with an attorney and discuss your case, personally, with an attorney in the state in which you reside or your case occurred. Thank you. Kevin R. Madison. Visit our website at www.kevinmadison.com and www.texassexualharassmentattorney.com. Kevin Madison, Austin, Texas- representing injured persons in motor vehicle collision, truck and motorcucle accidents and representing victims of sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual abuse, physical assaults, and representing victims of sexual exploitation committed by doctors, therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, clergy, counselors, priests, and rabbis. Visit our sexual harassment/sexual exploitation blog at http://texassexualharassmentattorney.com/blog/

Recommended articles about Employment