Can I sue my workplace for ignoring sexual harasment claims and creating a hostile environment?

Asked over 1 year ago - Edgerton, MO

This is a work related issue. The owner of our company placed a manager in our shop to supervise things, during his time with us he sexually harassed myself and 3 other women on top of constantly cussing and yelling at us. After reporting it to the owner, he cut my pay and all of our hours and then transferred the manager to another location. He said he didn't believe us and that nothing we said was harrasment (we told him to stop). Recently he hired another manager who is already doing the same thing, making dirty jokes etc. and he even asked a coworker to "do some naked silk screening". When he was confronted, he didn't deny it. The owner again, didn't believe us and then fired the manager who reported it. Do we have a case here? In the very least, can I quit and draw unemploymet?

1. Ryan Michael Paulus

Pro

3

1

Answered . It sounds like you may have a case but it depends on whether or not your employer has enough employees to fall under the Missouri Human Rights Act and the specifics of your complaint to the owner. I would need more facts to help you. Feel free to give my office a call for a free consultation at 816-581-4040. I also have some info on sexual harassment on my firm’s website that may help you at www.PaulusLawFirm.com

2. Kevin Rindler Madison

Pro

Answered . You and your other co-workers need to go see an experienced employment law attorney immediately. You should call Mr. Paulus and get some legal advice.