Can I sue my university? If so on what grounds?

New York, NY |

I applied for financial aid to pay for school. I filled out the form online, how ever I stated my income incorrectly. I went to the school the next day and filled out the proper forms to correct the mistake. The school did not mail this letter and as a result I was banned from receiving funding, however by the time I was informed of this it was too late to receive a refund of my courses. I was then sent to collections and my credit was damaged. My issue here is I did everything I was supposed to do and have proper documentation to prove it. I even recorded them admitting they made this mistake and that they would fix it. Also this letter I wrote can only be sent through them (the university) . I am personally not allowed to mail it, so there was no option to circumvent the school

You can file a lawsuit for just about anything so the question is whether you will win. Some grounds might include breach of contract for failure to have a competent financial aid correct process, or tort for failing to correct false information submitted to a government entity after learning that is was false. Do you have proof you submitted the letter to the school for mailing?

Yes i have proof. I have the form stamped and signed by the school the dated the day after I initially filled out my original form. Originally they apologized for messing up and admitted to it but now they say they did nothing wrong even though they cant prove they sent me anything through mail like they claim.

Kim Christian DSouza

Kim Christian DSouza

I think that you should contact the ombudsman of your school. Sometimes you will get some resolution without having to litigate.